Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Blog Entry #1

Mathematics is the study of numbers and how they relate. These relations are often applied to real life situations and can be expressed in a variety of ways.
I learn the best by being taught the concepts and subject matter first, and then doing practice problems by myself or with minimal assistance. After doing the practice problems, I then like to review the problems with classmates and receive help from the teacher if necessary. I think I learn mathematics best in this way because it is how I have been taught for a majority of my life, and it has worked for me. Also it combines a variety of methods, so I learned the material all the better.
I think my students will learn best in a similar manner. I recognize that students learn in different ways, so I will take that into consideration when I teach. However, I will be most comfortable teaching in a similar manner to how I have been taught and that way includes a variety of learning tactics, so it will probably be most successful in teaching mathematics.
One practice that promotes students’ learning is teaching with a positive attitude and being willing to answer students’ questions. If students feel their opinion and difficulties matter, then they will usually desire to learn. Additionally, I believe that using different tactics such as group work in addition to individual work provides students with the opportunity to learn in different ways, which helps students to better understand the subject matter.
Being rushed and using a negative tone is detrimental to the students’ learning of mathematics. These practices make the students feel the material is more important than the student, and as a result, the teacher does not care about the students and their needs.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you notice that there are variety of ways to learn math. Sometimes students can't be set out on their own to try the practice problems, but need to be guided through the first ones. In the end they do need to do them by themselves and can check with other students. I REALLY like how you mentioned teachers need to have a positive attitude. Although they need more than that, it is very important that they care about what they're doing, or at least fake it for their student's sake. I really liked your blog and there are some very true statements. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that you mentioned the importance of individual and group work. A student needs to be able to reason for him/herself and understand the concepts individually. At the same time, they can learn so much from group activities and interactions. Each person can bring a different light to the subject matter. Also, it forces them to communicate their reasoning and understand the thoughts of others.

    ReplyDelete